Sunday, September 25, 2011

Creative Commons Search - the [N]etiquette of using images from the Web

When I first started teaching, and the Internet was exploding with possibilities, I copied everything and anything in the name of EDUCATION.  In other words, I stole photographs and images and intellectual property like a vandal sneaking apples and doormats off other people's doorsteps.

When the copy-right issues started being tossed around - I thought it didn't apply to me because I was a TEACHER, and it was in the best interest of my young learners if I keep using this rich material I was finding.

Then I started posting my own images on flickr and my thoughts on blogger and facebook, and I began to rethink my thievery.  Something in me changed so that I wanted to be a good role-model. When I saw a photograph that I wanted to use - I asked permission first.  I explained that I was wanting to use it for a bulletin board display - and I explained the context.  Almost always, I heard a response within a few days, and almost always they said, "yes!"  The people I contacted often had little requests such as, "please give me attribution" - or - "please DON'T use my real name" - or - "I would love to hear what the response is."

This was new and exciting and the effort was worthwhile.

Worthwhile, but not always practical.  Sometimes inspiration doesn't want to wait a few days for permission. 

When I discovered Creative Commons Search I was so grateful.  You can seek out images/information that the creators are willing to share.  There's no cost - and it's easy to use.

If I could give one word of advice to new teachers interested in exploring technology with their students, it would be to use the Creative Commons Search site.  We might as well model best practices for our students right from the start.  Chances are, many of the veteran teachers you are working with will thank you for it...Creative Commons Search does seem to be the Internet's best-kept secret.  Spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment